World Stories

ejjus

Re: World Stories

Post by ejjus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:25 pm

Jedno prijatno iznenađenje, jer stvarno nisam očekivao da je moguće sjesti sa jednim igračem i imati ovako dobar intervju. Zbog toga sam malo krenuo traziti i brzo sam naletio na zanimljivu stranicu u kojoj sportisti pisu o svom zivotu, profesiji, iskustvima i mnogim drugim stvarima. Izdvojio sam dva clanka. U jednom je Ryan Shazier za jednog svog saigraca napisao, da ne poznaje osobju koja ima veci pobjednicki mentalitet. U drugom, bivsi igrac Quentin Richardson pise o svom jako dramaticnom zivotu.

Jaylen Brown: 'Sport is a mechanism of control in America'

As the Boston Celtics star prepares to play in London, he talks to Donald McRae about race, the NBA and the death of his best friend

Donald McRae

@donaldgmcrae
Tue 9 Jan 2018 12.00 GMT Last modified on Wed 10 Jan 2018 18.05 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... -interview

Jaylen Brown: ‘We’re having some of the same problems we had 50 years ago. Some things have changed a lot but other factors are deeply embedded in our society.’ Photograph: Brian Babineau/NBAE/Getty Images

THE PLAYERS TRIBUNE

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/

THE 5 TOUGHEST GUYS I'VE EVER FACED
Jul 20 2017
Ryan Shazier
Linebacker / Pittsburgh Steelers

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ryan- ... ver-faced/

We got a problem that we need to address off the top. I’m a big fan of the Five Toughest series, and I’ve wanted to do one of these for a while now, but there’s a small issue with me doing it.

I play for the Steelers. I have two Top 5 guys on my own squad. It’s not even up for debate. Antonio Brown: best receiver I’ve ever faced. Le’Veon Bell: best running back I’ve ever faced. That’s not me gassing them up. That’s just facts.

Now, I already know everybody on the Internet is going to come after me for doing them. So we’ll make a deal here. You gotta let me include my guys. But I’ll give you two trade-offs.

I promise you I’m going to give you some real nitty-gritty football insight.
I’m also going to include a Cowboy and a Raven. A Raven, man. That’s how serious I am.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s roll.

LETTER TO MY YOUNGER SELF
Jan 7 2018
Quentin Richardson
Retired / NBA

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/lette ... ichardson/

Dear 12-year-old Q,

They’re gonna kill your brother. They’re gonna kill Bernard. Over nothing. Just a random robbery.

Your grandma is gonna pass away from old age.

Your mother is gonna die from breast cancer. You’ll have to watch her fade away. No more honey-tops and The Young and the Restless after school.

And I’m sorry to tell you, but it’s all going to happen this year. ’92.

Now, I got a question for you. Do you know what DNA is? You probably don’t. DNA goes deeper than blood, man. It’s your makeup. It’s what you’re built from. It’s the cut of your cloth, you know what I’m saying?

You are from the South Side of Chicago.

You are from the “Wild Hunneds.”

You are the son of Lee Richardson, driving that L train up and down the Green Line for 38 years.

So lucky for you, even though you’re about to go through some real shit, you got the DNA of some motherfucking go-getters.
The world is deep,:
And deeper than even day may dream.

ejjus

Post by ejjus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:33 pm

STRANGER STILL

Kamel Daoud and Algeria, caught between Islamist fervor and cultural flowering.

By ADAM SHATZ
APRIL 1, 2015

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/m ... e&referer=

Kamel Daoud Credit Ferhat Bouda/Agence Vu, for The New York Times

I first heard about the writer Kamel Daoud a few years ago, when an Algerian friend of mine told me I should read him if I wanted to understand how her country had changed in recent years. “If Algeria can produce a Kamel Daoud,” she said, “I still have hope for Algeria.” Reading his columns in Le Quotidien d’Oran, a French-language newspaper, I saw what she meant. Daoud had an original, epigrammatic style: playful, lyrical, brash. I could also see why he’d been accused of racism, even “self-hatred.” After Sept. 11, for example, he wrote that the Arabs had been “crashing” for centuries and that they would continue crashing so long as they were better known for hijacking planes than for making them. But this struck me as the glib provocation of an otherwise intelligent writer carried away by his metaphors.

The more I read Daoud, the more I sensed he was driven not by self-hatred but by disappointed love. Here was a writer in his early 40s, a man my age, who believed that people in Algeria and the wider Muslim world deserved a great deal better than military rule or Islamism, the two-entree menu they had been offered since the end of colonialism, and who said so with force and brio. Nothing, however, prepared me for his first novel, “The Meursault Investigation,” a thrilling retelling of Albert Camus’s 1942 classic, “The Stranger,” from the perspective of the brother of the Arab killed by Meursault, Camus’s antihero. The novel, which was first published in Algeria in 2013, and which will be published in English by Other Press in June, not only breathes new life into “The Stranger”; it also offers a bracing critique of postcolonial Algeria — a new country that Camus, a poor Frenchman born in Algiers, did not live to see.

What impressed me about Daoud’s writing, both his journalism and his novel, was the fearlessness with which he defended the cause of individual liberty — a fearlessness that, it seemed to me, bordered on recklessness in a country where collectivist passions of nation and faith run high. I wondered whether his experience might provide clues as to the state of intellectual freedom in Algeria, a peculiar hybrid of electoral democracy and police state. Late last year, I had an answer of sorts. Daoud was no longer merely a writer. He was now someone you had to take a side on, in Algeria and in France.

His ordeal began on Dec. 13, during a book tour in France, where “Meursault” received rapturous reviews, sold more than 100,000 copies and came two votes shy of winning the Prix Goncourt, the nation’s most prestigious literary prize. He was on a popular late-night talk show called “On n’est pas Couché” (“We’re Not Asleep”), and he felt, he would tell me later, “as if I had all of Algeria on my shoulders.” He insisted to the French-Lebanese journalist Léa Salamé, one of the panelists on the program, that he considered himself an Algerian, not an Arab — a view that’s not uncommon in Algeria, but that is opposed by Arab nationalists. He said that he spoke a distinct language called “Algerian,” not Arabic. He said that he preferred to meet with God on foot, by himself, rather than in an “organized trip” to a mosque, and that religious orthodoxy had become an obstacle to progress in the Muslim world. Daoud said nothing on the program that he hadn’t said in his columns or his novel. But saying it in France, the country that ruled Algeria from 1830 to 1962, got him noticed by people back home who tend to ignore the French-language press.

One of them was an obscure imam named Abdelfattah Hamadache, who had reportedly been an informer for the security services. Three days after Daoud’s appearance on French television, Hamadache wrote on his Facebook page that Daoud — an “apostate” and “Zionized criminal” — should be put on trial for insulting Islam and publicly executed. It was not quite a call for Daoud’s assassination: Hamadache was appealing to the state, not to freelance jihadists. But Algeria is a country in which more than 70 journalists were murdered by Islamist rebels during the civil war of the 1990s, the so-called Black Decade. Those murders were often preceded by anonymous threats in letters, leaflets or graffiti scrawled on the walls of mosques. Hamadache’s “Facebook fatwa,” as it became known, was something new, and uniquely brazen, for being signed in his own name. It provoked an outcry, and not only among liberals. Ali Belhadj, leader of the banned Islamic Salvation Front (F.I.S.), harshly criticized Hamadache, asserting that he had no authority to call Daoud an apostate and that only God had the right to decide who was or wasn’t a Muslim: a message, some said, that the F.I.S. saw Hamadache as a tool of the state. Indeed, although the minister of religious affairs, Mohamed Aïssa, a mild-mannered man of Sufi leanings, came to Daoud’s defense, the government otherwise maintained a strange neutrality, declining to respond when Daoud filed a complaint against Hamadache for incitement.
The world is deep,:
And deeper than even day may dream.

medvjed23

Post by medvjed23 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:16 pm